Friday, September 15, 2006

Why get a job?

I kind of had this interesting exchange with a friend lately because she was still looking for a job after having graduated for a couple of months. She told me she needed a job soon but then I thought, is it that 1) you really need a job or 2) you really need the pay that comes with a job ?

I would think that for most, having a job is more like a means to an end. Why? Because it pays the bills and feeds the kids. True. But that doesn't help you like what you do any more, does it? And chances are, the further one trudges along this path, the more entrenched your need for the job (actually the pay) becomes and even if one is less than satisfied with it, there is little one can do but slog on.

Let me set another scenario which I see quite a bit too -- students flocking to high paying jobs (Most recently what I've seen is a near universal yearning to be Investment Bankers.)

Ok, the true of the matter is that yes, Bankers do make quite a nice bit but that's only because of plain ol' economics. They need to have 1) the ability to take stress and 2) willingness to work extrememly long hours. So my questions to folks looking to be Investment Bankers (or actually any other high-paying but demanding field for that matter) -- Are you into this for the money or for the thrills?

If you tell me "its for the money" then I would think that there are other ways to go about doing that which may be more fulfilling for you in the long run. If you tell me "its for the thrills" then let me ask you "so, you would still want to do it if you just got paid enough to survive?"

===

I do strongly believe in having passion in what you do and the belief that what you do is making a difference. Some tell me passion is over-rated, others say it does not feed you.

Well, if slogging through life in a less than satisfying job that pays well is the other option, then I guess I'll take my chances.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi buddy,
Now the issue you are muddliing over is really very existential because in 22 years of my life I am still puzzling to discover my passion. But I believe that passion is the only thing which can make u run, but can u live without status, money..so overlapping of these things is required but prioritizing comes before that

Gwen said...

I'll take my chances too. Rather feed my soul then kill it.

AlphaTraan said...

Well, one way I look at things is to find what you would gladly do for free then find a way to do it such that it creates values for others.

The notion's a little vague but should lead you in roughly the right direction you wanna go.