Monday, August 28, 2006

Avoid Worldwide Cameras Centre at Peninsula Plaza for its Unethical Service!

For those who have been following my blog for some time, you would probably know how highly I regard service as a competitive edge to any business, especially the frontline type which face the consumers. Hence, when I got caught in a terrible, unethical act by Worldwide Cameras Centre at Peninsula Plaza over the weekend, I thought it was only right to do what I can to warn other netizens to prevent them from falling prey. I believe that the democratized power the Internet can help to bring them to justice so this is just a little bit on my part :

(Just take this as a Public Service Announcement, stay tuned for more regular posting coming up soon!)

========
The Story:

Basically, I was trying to buy 4 boxes of Polaroid film from the shop on Sunday afternoon. I managed to see the box of film I needed and so pointed it out to the shopkeeper to enquire about the pricing and he told me that it was $35 per box. I was fine with that pricing as its more or less the average I've seen around so I said I'll take 4 boxes. But he had no stock in the shop so he got his colleague to run back to their nearby stock room to pick it up.

During this time, since we were waiting, I paid up (foolishly) for the 4 boxes I wanted as I needed to go somewhere else after that.

Then, when the colleague came back, he passed me 2 boxes instead, claiming then he understood that I wanted 4 packs and not 4 boxes! (Polaroid 600 series film normally comes in 1 box of 2 packs/cartridges) and would not budge on giving me a refund.

No matter how I spoke to the staff, who were ever so friendly a moment ago, they just gave a cold shoulder and even ignored me to serve the other customers.Later, I even called the manager of the shop (a certain Mr. Ling) saying that I wanted to either get a refund or lodge a complaint and all he did was to tell me mockingly to "go ahead and complain if I want to".

Luckily, the difference in amount wasn't too much but I'm definitely taking this as a lesson. But, I thought it was appropriate to bring this up to caution people a little as I believe in the power of word of mouth.Caveat Emptor!

========
Worldwide Cameras Centre
111 North Bridge Road, #01-38,
Penisula Plaza, Singapore 179098

(Along the main road facing Funan)
========


And to Mr. Ling and your merry men, let me say “Nemo me impune lacessit!”

(Also on : http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=218801 )

========

30th August Update : Boo yeah, It seems that I have been tomorrow-ed! Would just like to add on that this one goes out to all the other unfortunate consumers also who have been suffering in silence after getting mistreated by unethical retailers. So join me to spread the bad word about such bad service!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can write to CASE http://www.case.org.sg/

After you have brought this up to case. you can also write an article in forum and get this published.

Details: said...

They ended up losing more than earning that few dollars.

Anonymous said...

There are many such incidents in Singapore. Can't understand why some businesses are so short-sighted

Anonymous said...

Yes think you should write in formally to Straits Times forum as well to complain so that their misdeeds can be reported far and wide.

From what i understand these type of shops mainly target tourists. So it may do good to circulate this article to foreign travelling website.

Anonymous said...

did ur receipt say 4 packets or 4 boxes? if u paid for 4 box but got only 2, den i tink it warrants more then just write in and lodge a complain, rope in the police man. Small amt yes,but its the principle of it all...

Details: said...

Another case of 'cheating?' here in SPUG

Desmond said...

Good Good Whack them jialat jialat man!

Anonymous said...

It's a police case for cheating. You should make a police report.

Anonymous said...

Did you not find it strange that the price is 50% off the normal price?

Anonymous said...

You could have told the other customers in the shop about their cheating practices, and stood at the door telling other customers about their fradulent practice.

They can threaten to call in the police, to which you can tell them to "gladly do so".

AlphaTraan said...

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback and comments ...

Basically, I've made a CASE report and urge all others who have faced the same kind of situation with them to perhaps contact me at wannapreneur[at]gmail.com? Perhaps we can work something out together to put a stop to all this.

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I came across your blog totally by accident. My friend left for a Holiday in Singapre, but beforehand I asked him to get me a digital camera, but specifically avoid the shop mentioned on your blog.

Well, he was so impressed with the Canon S3iS that I asked for, so he bought himself one as well. Effectively, that shop lost out on just under $1000.

Thanks for your posts.

AlphaTraan said...

Hi, thanks for the posted note.

Glad to have helped get the word out to prevent them from harming more good folks out there.